Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Love Beyond the Grave

Okay, that title is probably a little on the overly-dramatic side, but the original story is really pretty cool.

Archaeologists working near Mantua, Italy (home of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) have found an unusual Neolithic double burial -- a man and a woman buried together, facing each other, embracing. There's no way to tell if they were husband and wife, father and daughter, starcrossed lovers, or just neighbors but given the way they were buried I rather doubt the latter.

I don't know that I have anything particularly deep and meaningful to say about this beyond 'awwwww' and 'really, people don't change' but perhaps it does link back to my previous post -- the virtues aren't just a modern thing; they're not even just a human thing. They're a condition of being.

2 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Very cool story Kate, especially because we just got done with the Neolithic period in World Civ.

I am glad to discover your blogs and honored that you linked to mine :-).

Kate said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I'd be interested to find out what they're teaching about the Neolithic these days; I know most of what I know about the time period I 'learned' from Jean Auel.

Makes me wonder how she'll fit the find into her next book, actually; I know she's done it before...

I find your blog inspiring and just plain cool, so linking was a bit of a no-brainer for me. :)