Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ow, and ow.

I'd intended to try to update this blog every couple of days. I still intend to; and indeed I have a lot of ideas for what to write about. But I seem to have taken on a fairly large sewing project in not enough time, and my fingers hurt too much to type much.

See, I don't use sewing machines. I sew by hand. I'm better at it, I like the effect better, I enjoy doing it. It's sturdier and I have a lot better control of where the needle goes. It's a meditative thing for me, as knitting and crocheting is for others.

I don't object to other people using sewing machines by any means. But this particular project is something for my Tim, and I find that I'm willing to go to a lot of extra effort to make sure he's dressed in something nice - that is to say, at least in this context, something sewn by hand.

I suppose I could write something connecting this to the requirement that knights be willing to undergo pain and discomfort to do the right thing, and I might do that in the future, but right now? Ow. And ow.

And yet another tunic to go.

6 comments:

Plain Foolish said...

Oooch. Feel better soon.

All my silly trigger points have been acting up. Last night, I found one of the larger ones that a physician once mistook for a tumor. I hate it when they show up. I am limiting how much crafting I do tonight. Meh. And just as I get some gorgeous yarn, too. (Silk, mohair, and wool blended with a sparkly bit. And a blend of wine, teal, and evergreen colors too.)

Kate said...

Ooh, sounds like pretty yarn. Must be frustrating not to be able to do much with it right now...

I've decided I'm going to take the last of the purple I got from you and make a scarf for the homeless guy who always sits at the big intersection near where I work - it's _cold_ this time of year. I'd love to do more for him but Joe (my boss) says he's tried to help him out and hasn't gotten much of anywhere.

Hope you feel better soon!

Plain Foolish said...

Way cool! Yes, please do do that. And in case there's not quite enough to do a scarf (I can't imagine you have more than half a ball there) either I can send you another half ball in a nice color to go with the purple - say teal, or you can try making a neck gaiter instead- think a cowl neck without the attached sweater - a tube of crochet that fits over the head and just sits around the neck without catching on things or anything... To make the gaiter, instead of turning around when you get to the end of the foundation chain, just crochet into the beginning of the chain, making a circle, and keep going up in a smooth spiral.

Kate said...

Oh, that's a lovely idea. I think I'll do the gaiter instead; it sounds a lot more practical and yes, I don't have more than about half a ball.

Still working out how much yarn makes how much 'thing'. But trying something new will be fun.

Kelos Hightower said...

As a properly vested knight myself (albeit of an order (The Order of the Eternal Circle) that few would credit) I can attest firsthand that everything that has been said thus far in this blog is the unvarnished truth. Chivalry is not dead, but is a rare animal indeed, largely because we, in the modern era, have willingly let go of the Knights' Code of Honour and its tenets. Much to our shame, IMO.

It saddens me to see people who know better slander another's good name or act in a bigoted or prejudiced way. I've even been the victim of such behavior more than once, so trying to correct it, even though it too often feels like I'm Don Quixote, tilting at windmills and getting nowhere with my struggles to correct injustice, is very important to me.

Kate said...

Thank you for the comment, Raymond. I'm trying to do my little part in keeping the concept of chivalry going; it's good to hear from someone else with the same goals.

Can you tell me something about your Order? I've never heard of it, and I don't see anything online...